Monday 27 October 2014

27 - HALLOWEEN MAIL ART OR JUST ABANDONED ART?

Morning all, tis Virginia here again for another sneaky guest post on the Weird Scissors blog.  Today I'm going to share with you a little bit of mail art/abandoned art I've been creating over the last couple of weeks.

I've played with mail art for some time, it's great fun just to send off some art in the post, even better if it's recipient isn't expecting it!  I start out with A4 cardstock which I cut in half to make it A5 - this can still be sent using a normal 1st or 2nd class stamp.

I then proceeded to gelliprint the back ground, so much fun!  Once dry I painted the pumpkin in black and then I added masked shapes, distress ink stamping in red brick and spiced marmalade and some script stamp.


I then added some H20 paints onto the pumpkin to make him shine and some oil pastels - basically I kept building up the layers until they felt 'done'!


I also did 'spooky houses'  using the same principles, gelli plate background, stamps - the only 'addition' on here is some liquid pearls adding accents here and there.


They really are fun to make, so if you are off with your children this week and fancy making some just have a go.  If you don't have a gelli plate, don't stress just make up some base cards with normal acrylic paints or even water colours, or just use coloured card!  I'm sure they would be a welcome bit of post for family or friends. 

Alternatively what about some art abandonment.  I recently joined in with Sarah's free art Friday in Swindon and sent her a selection of previously made mail art for her to leave for people to find.  It was a lot of fun to do and these would be ideal for art abandonment at this time of year.  In fact I've added this to my bucket list, I intend on popping some of them in the card cellophanes that you can get, printing out some free art tags and then leaving them for people to find.  Should make for an interesting jaunt out! 


If you are lost for inspiration as to creating the pumpkin faces of the spooky houses just check out Pinterest, loads of inspiration there!

I wasn't sure on this one because of the masked cat - but hubby thought it was great!


I used a distress stamp around the page to 'frame' the art work as a finishing touch!  This was one of my favourites, the difference of adding that bit of white oil pastel to the pumpkin and the house really brought this one to life!


And to just to show that I don't do things by halves here they all are set out ready for distribution!


I am entering this into the Open Minded Challenge for Halloween and the Left of Center Challenge for Halloween.

Thanks to the girls on the Weird Scissors for letting me do two guest posts I feel very honoured, don't forget to check back tomorrow for more amazing creativity!

5 comments:

  1. Love them all, and love the hints and tips to really make them work (like the pastel on the windows).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've been so busy! Great little pieces of art, each and every one. Thanks for entering it at Open-Minded Crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant pieces of art and I love the one with the spooky card --thanks for joining us at Open-Minded Crafting Fun
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous!!! Love them!! Wow!!! Absolutely stunning!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges!!! Good Luck! I hope we see you again!!

    - Susan, Co-Owner @ Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges
    {Scrap A Thousand Words}

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW those are so gorgeous! And of course whomever gets this by mail will be totally happy!!!! Love the colors and the backgrounds you have done with your gelliplate!!!

    Thanks for joining our fortnightly challenge here at Open Minded Crafting Fun Challenge. Hope you will join us next time co-owner Crafting Vicky.

    ReplyDelete